Tuesday, February 10, 2009

IT TAKES FAITH AND EFFORT

During my battle with depression I came to the conclusion that the only help I could get to truly overcome this was from Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I started getting priesthood blessings from my husband very often and I wrote each blessing down after it was given. After the first blessing I thought my depression would end and I would somehow instantly be happy... not the case.

It took me a few more years to learn how to be happy again. I do believe that had I been better at applying the things I learned right off, that it would have been a quicker process. However, I can be very stubborn so it took me longer than needed. Once I figured out that I need to DO what I learned it has become a great blessing in my life because I now realize the importance of instant application of inspiration.

As I have re-read those blessings I can now see how things have fallen into place and the Lord kept his promises as I kept mine.

I have found so much peace, happiness and joy in hearing inspiration and obeying immediately. I am not always good at this but I am trying harder all of the time. Elder Faust said, "Lehi, teaching his son Jacob, declared: "Men are, that they might have joy..." To achieve this objective, we much "give ear to the living God..." I wish to testify as a living witness that joy does come through listening to the Spirit, for I have experienced it." (Faust, "Voice of the Spirit,"7)

I know that the Lord will help anyone who will come to him with a humble, sincere heart. I do know that we MUST act on what the Lord tells us to do. He won't just change us, we must do our part and then he CAN CHANGE us! This is such an amazing thing! So simple yet it takes a lot of effort.

Please feel free to leave comments. I would love to be there for anyone who needs help with this illness. Have faith in the Lord that he will guide you in the right direction and have faith in yourself that you can do what is needed to overcome depression and live a life full of joy. We are each capable of living the great "Plan of Happiness" but we must put forth the effort, faith, desire and diligence to do so.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea. I suffered from horrible post-partum after the birth of 3 of my children-- FINALLY I agreed to take some medication for it with my 4th child.. and wished I had done it with the others.

    There is no need to suffer in silence. Depression is really a sad thing- and I don't mean to sound funny. It's sad because it robs happiness not just from YOU but your family and friends... it is not just a personal battle - but effects every aspect of life. (social, emotional, spiritual, physical, intellectual, etc.. )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully agree. Thank you for sharing your comment. I also have had post-partum depression after my kids also.

    ReplyDelete